A mobile application connecting solo travellers.


Role: Research, Interaction Design, Prototyping, Testing

Team: Dana Khan, Irene Kim

Journey is a mobile application for solo travellers that allows them to easily gather information about their travel destination as well as interact with other travellers, meet-up, and share costs. This project was created for a third year interface design course where the purpose was to create an app for a specific audience from a domain of our choice.

Research & Interviews

After selecting the domain of solo travel, my team and I began the project by researching our users. Once we conducted several interviews, we identified the main problems that solo travellers face to be: expenses, meeting others, and safety. With these problems in mind, we began developing features to solve these issues.

Prototyping Process

For our solution, we came up with the four features that our app focuses on: splitting transportation and accommodation costs, sharing information on topics such as food or safety, chatting with others, and arranging group meet-ups. The design process for implementing our solution began with rapid prototyping through sketching and low-fidelity digital wireframes which helped in planning our layout. Choosing the best wireframes, we then went forward to produce high fidelity static mockups for each page of the application.

two phones

Adding Interaction

Once my team and I created all the necessary pages in Sketch, we brought them into Flinto in order to create our full prototype with interaction. We began with linking the pages together to ensure our user experience flow was intuitive, before going the the next step to add micro-interactions. Micro-interactions such as pop-up notifications and scrolling effects were used to enhance the user experience.

User Testing & Final Stages

During the final stage of the project our team conducted user testing to help identify any problems with our interface. Problems that arose included small font size, unclear icons, and lack of colour contrast. Based on this user testing feedback, we made the necessary changes to our final design.

Lastly, our team took the extra step to create a promotional video to showcase our app. This was not a required component of the project, but we felt it would enhance our presentation when pitching the final idea to our peers.


Through this project I learned the importance of defining an audience in order to give meaning, purpose, and validity to the design. Working with the feedback provided by our audience, my team and I were able to create an app that puts the specific needs and goals of our users at the forefront.

View Another Project